As we aspire to reduce our waist lines and improve our health and quality of life in 2018, outside of naked yoga, we will all need something to wear.
The best approach is to invest in some great athleisure wear! It will support your goals and initiatives while providing the comfort and confidence you deserve. Plus it keeps you feeling cool and fresh all day in our Sunshine State.
Athleisure is a practical and good-looking trend in fashion in which clothing designed for workouts and other athletic activities is worn in other settings, such as at the workplace, at school, or at other casual or social occasions.
A review of Wikipedia indicates that athleisure can be considered as a fashion industry movement, enabled by improved textile materials, which allows sportswear to be more versatile, comfortable, and fashionable. They allow for an easy wardrobe transition from your everyday routine to the gym. That means no more excuses!
Many of the leading manufacturers of athleisure clothing include benefits such as anti-bacterial treatment that fights odor, breathable fabric that wicks moisture, and soft, stretchy fabric that allows for unlimited movement. Some items include flat, chafe-free seams and SPF 50 all -day sun protection wash after wash — all while being fashionable, functional and durable.
In my research to gain a greater insight and understanding here are some of the technologies being used by some of the leading athleisure manufacturers (MPG, Vuori, Strong body) and their associated benefits:
- Sweat Tech – Provides body mapping for a chafe-free, second-skin fit that breathes
- Performance Silk – An easy-care blend with a luxe look and feel, moisture management AND natural odor resistance. Infinity 360 – Seamless fabric offers chafe-free construction for a barely-there feel and built-in Polygiene® technology
- Rapid Fabric – Lightweight, gentle compression, 4-way stretch and moisture-wicking
- Flex Woven Fabric – Super soft, lightweight with 4-way stretch plus excellent moisture wicking
- Performance Jersey – Advanced fabric blend with 4-way stretch, shape retention AND moisture-wicking properties
- Warrior Knit – High-performance, stink-free fabric with the look AND feel of a cotton knit
- Café Tech Fabric – Made from recycled coffee grounds with natural odor control and cooling properties
- Tech Twill – Modern performance fabric with 4-way stretch AND water-resistance
- Performance Denim – The look of denim in performance jersey offers comfort and flexibility
- Performance Cashmere – A hassle-free, luxury fabric blend with softness, drape and temperature regulation.
- Engineered Fleece – Offers featherweight warmth and breathability in a unique spongy texture fabric
- Bluesign® Approved – Eco-friendly fabrication process reduces environmental impact
- Magic Rain Technology – Transforms when wet to reveal a hidden pattern
- Propellite® Technology – Subtle prints become illuminated in the dark and transform into hi-vis reflective garments
- Built-in drirelease® Technology – Offers drying, cooling and 24-hour freshening
- Polygiene® Stink-Free Technology – Natural antibacterial finish reduces odor, extending wear between washing
Photo: Men’s running tights and long-sleeved top by MPG are made of comfortable performance jersey offering 4-way stretch and moisture wicking properties.
Jose Martinez is president of Sartorial Inc, a menswear boutique in downtown St. Petersburg.